Hi Ian:

Changing the area on the map as the user resizes the window is cause
for a lot of annoying math in uDig; and has resulted in the past in
plenty of cases where the aspect ratio gets out of sync making the map
stretched or squashed...

The two rectangles are used to set up an affine transform; the
location/scale/rotation is just another way to set up an affine
transform (and one with way less chance of error in my experience).

In this case the rotation *is* something to the GUI deals with; but to
do so it needs to be able to make the affine transform known to the
geotools renderer.

Jody