Thanks, Justin. We might be able to modify
ComplexSupportXSAnyTypeBinding to support this. But there is another
problem (I hope Jody can help):

Jody, to create a GeoAPI object with this type requires us to have a
ComplexType for it to pass GeoTools validation. What does the
PropertyDescriptor corresponding to the <any/> XSD element for this
ComplexType look like (ignore the attributeGroup for now)?
PropertyDescriptor says getName "may be null in some instances", but
PropertyDescriptorImpl forbids this.

The XSD snippet (from O&M 1.0) is (like):

<complexType name="AnyOrReferenceType">
<sequence minOccurs="0">
<any/>
</sequence>
<attributeGroup ref="gml:AssociationAttributeGroup"/>
</complexType>

Kind regards,
Ben.

--