@Andrea

Hi Andrea, sorry to make some noise here. I misinterpreted the
situation (bad coffee in the morning). I thought the shutdown method
is primary intended for geoserver, obviously it is the other way
around, making geotools ready for web apps. This is a 100% +1 and I
hope we can end this unnecessary discussion.

@Jody
About applets.
Since you can run n different applets using gootools  in the same jvm
(Multi tabbed browsing), you run into the problem with global
settings. But the probability of this situation is rather small, I
would not invest in this topic at the moment.