>From the uDig stand point am fine with upgrading to Java 6.

I with you on the need to make it easy for developers to contribute to the
project; open source projects feed on volunteers after all.

Could we do a trial on Java 6 with the following conditions:
- allow 2.7.x to be build with Java 6
- still ask it to produce a Java 5 target
- depend on a build box to catch people calling String.contains( str ) rather
then String.indexOf( str ) != -1

Is there any specific Java 6 features we would like? There is stuff I would
like - but nothing critical. Example I would like the scripting support for
JRuby packaged up as a geotools module rather then as a udig plugin. It is
dependent on the Java 6 hooks for scripting languages.

Jody