I have mixed feelings about this one. I definitely agree that it is a
pain to require developers to use java 5 when java 6 is the new default.

But I also know there exist users that can't make the shift in an
organization because IT requires them to use an older java version.

All in all I would tend to weigh user concerns higher than developer
ones. It is not like developers are crashing down the door wanting to
contribute to geotools. The higher barrier of entry imo is the
complexity of the codebase, not the version of Java we use.

All that said I think it would be a good idea to do a poll of the user
community. As well as the user communities of any projects depending on
geotools. I think we did something similar when we switched to java 5.

2c.

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira