Hi Andrea:

I have another idea that came up when looking at the patch (sorry for picking
on your patch Michael, I feel bad as this work is 1/2 done, and my fault in
that respect).

You have hit on one of two remaining tasks:

1) update StreamingRenderer to use MapContent
2) update StreamingRenderer to support DirectLayer

With respect to (1) ....

Andrea how do you feel about making MapContent, MapViewport and Layer part of
gt-api? We could not have the explicit subclasses like FeatureLayer defined in
gt-api (as for example FeatureLayer would be defined by gt-main in order to
make use of DataUtilities).

To make that approach "smooth" I would also define a Render interface (to hold
setMapContent / getMapContent) and have GTRender extend that:

The GTRender / MapContext / MapLayer classes would remain in gt-render,
existing client code can continue to use it as a "nice" way of setting up a
MapContent.