Then you are more lucky than me. I did the same using SUN JDK

java version "1.6.0_24"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)

and get problems with the file encodings:

Example in
/home/christian/gt-trunk/modules/library/coverage/src/main/java/org/geotools/coverage/grid/

GridCoverageFactory.java:          ASCII C program text
GridEnvelope2D.java:               UTF-8 Unicode C program text
GridGeometry2D.java:               ISO-8859 C program text

Compilation failed for some ISO-8859 encoded files.

A quick check on the java files shows

6013 files using ASCII chars
221  files using UTF-8
48   files using ISO-8859