Who owns the works?

If OpenGeo owns the copyright in works by its staff in the course of
their employment, then in my view those staff do not need an individual
contribution agreement for GeoTools if one has been signed by OpenGeo.

All of my group are now covered by a blanket agreement. Some previous
contractors signed up individually as copyright ownership was not
specified in their old contracts. All current staff and contractors
assign all their copyrights to my organisation, which then assigns it to
OSGeo under a single agreement.

Individual agreements do not hurt, and are essential if like Jody you
contribute work to GeoTools on your own time and your employer does not
claim ownership (mine does for anything related to my employment).

Some employers like universities disclaim all ownership of works
produced by employees, to preserve academic freedom. Some claim
everything, even for years after leaving employment (e.g. non-compete
clauses). Individual circumstances vary.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer