The interface was just an idea I threw in there, because there were concerns about ReferencedEnvelope3D not being a ReferencedEnvelope.

But the idea of not making separate classes and make the current ones support 3D, I think is quite tricky too. The algorithms aren't necessarily the same with 2d and 3d. Basically, every method would need to have a check whether there is a 3rd dimension or not.