On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Ian Turton <ijtur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Why does this matter? It basically screws anyone who is trying to apply
> the
> > patch across different branches / releases.
> >
> > My guess is that by doing the whitespace change is a separate patch;
> Justin
> > would be able to "cherry-pick" just the change with the fix across to a
> > different release.
>
> I understand why this is bad - I just thought we sorted the issue some
> years ago.

We tried to go for the automatic formatting route with Jalopy a few years
ago,
both on the GeoTools side and the GeoServer one (I was pushing for it),
but that resulted in a lot of troubles and it was swiftly removed

I would not mind having a "whole world" reformat every now and then
(once a year maybe), more often than this and searching into the git
history for the origin of some block of code.
I know this may sound like nit-picking, but try to actually maintain the
library
and you'll find yourself doing excavations in the current code to understand
why it was written the way it is. And not doing so is often quite
irresponsible
(you end up removing portions of code that have a legit reason to be there).

==
Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more
information.
==