On 09/10/12 14:06, Andrea Aime wrote:
> The same could be said for builds against OpenJDK, JDK 7, Windows and so on.

Not quite. In my view, JDBC is core functionality, on a core platform. I
agree with you that supplementary builds like OpenJDK, JDK, Windows, and
builds in paths with spaces can be banished to other lists until we
agree that these are supported platforms.

> Continuous build failures that get ignored because there is no bandwidth
> to address them just make the
> whole point of having a build server moot. How many people did notice
> that that main build was failing
> due to a temporal test since October 1st? Why the usual fool had to fix
> it on a Sunday?

Conscript more fools.  ;-)

I just spent several hours fixing the JDBCJoinTest failure (or
introducing a complementary bug that makes the build pass; I am not
quite sure). Griping about it was taking too much time.

> (the fact that the main module was failing is an aggravation, since it's
> everyone's responsibility no
> one really feels responsible about it, at the same time fixing the test
> was a one liner).
> The primary build should be of interest of everyone, it's the one that
> should never fail, if we get
> 10 failure messages a day people will just ignore them, including the
> ones regarding the primary build.

I agree with you. The JDBCJoinTest failure should never have been left
as long as it was. What we have just seen is exactly what happens when
build failures are ignored: developers stop paying attention and
continuous integration is lost. It is not good enough that other
developers are relying on you to clean up after them. Unless the
situation improves, we are going to have to start getting tough and
reverting commits that break the build. That should get some attention.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer