Justin,

I ported AppSchemaValidator to use EntityResolver2, required for
relative schema locations:
https://github.com/jdeolive/geotools/pull/1

Note that xmlcodegen still fails to build (I commented it out for testing).

With noxmldeps GeoTools, there is a unit test failure in GeoServer
(app-schema-test SecondaryNamespaceExceptionTest). Looks like a side
effect of your dexercesification is that undefined namespace prefixes
(null:) are now passed through the GML32OutputFormat XSLT rather that
causing an ows:ExceptionReport. Not sure why. I also needed to remove
the xerces dependencies in the release module.

Nice work! You are pretty close.

Now just that pesky Xalan (app-schema GeoServer plugin, so off-topic).
Any XSLT gurus willing to help backport to Xalan 2.6 (in the JDK)?
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5352

Kind regards,
Ben.

--