Thanks, Justin.

The gt-app-schema-resolver Xerces dependency you found is resolved in
the pull request linked below. This patch is against your noxmldeps
branch; everything works when it is applied, except that xmlcodegen does
not build (I commented it out while testing), and one unit test failure
in GeoServer app-schema-test, which you should be able to reproduce when
you build GeoServer against your noxmldeps branch. See:
https://github.com/jdeolive/geotools/pull/1

I removed the GeoServer app-schema Xalan dependency late last year:
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5352
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/54

Kind regards,
Ben.