On 11/06/13 05:36, Phil Scadden wrote:
> On 11/06/2013 1:40 a.m., ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au wrote:
>> Java 6 is put out to pasture? Not even an security updates...
>> Q: Java 7 minimum? Terrible idea
>> Q: Java 7 compile? Additional work to support both - discuss on mailing list
> At risk of wading in where angels fear to tread, but is java 7 minimum
> such a terrible idea? What makes this better than java 6 only,
> especially when its out to pasture. It certainly would be more work to
> support both, but isnt it just delaying the inevitable?

As any actuary or tax accountant can tell you, delaying the inevitable
can be quite an acceptable outcome.  :-)

The first problem is that some production systems use old versions of
Java. These systems can benefit from GeoTools upgrades at a small cost
whereas system upgrades can be much more difficult to orchestrate. I am
thinking of CentOS/RHEL and Debian Squeeze. Never underestimate the the
fondness of management for keeping old systems limping along; deferred
maintenance does wonders for this year's budget.

The second problem is that OpenJDK 7 binaries for Windows do not appear
to be widely available. Oracle says that its Java 7 is "based largely on
the same code", but I do not find this to be a very comforting
statement. Are we going to build and test against both?

A bit of history:

GeoTools 2.5.0 went to Java 5 in October 2008, when Java 1.4 went EOL,
and four years after Java 5 was released.

GeoTools 8.0 went to Java 6 in October 2012, three years after Java 5
EOL, and almost six years after Java 6 was released.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history

Kind regards,

--