Afternoon Brett:

Please keep in mind that Java 7 is being discussed in terms of a build box
profile. As of yet no build box configured for Java 7 has been asked for or
volunteered.
This discussion is in part to gauge interest in supporting Java 7.

With that in mind here is the only thing I would recommend:
- Continue to target both applications at Java 6 syntax and class libraries
(i.e. no try-with-resource syntax)

- Set up a Java 7 profile (OpenJDK for Linux/  Oracle JDK 7 for Windows), and
use the build box to check to verify GeoTools and GeoServer build cleanly in a
JDK 7 environment

It seems that I am the only one to report problems running with an Oracle JDK 7
environment. I noticed two issues:
- A co-worker failed to set up GeoServer on a RHEL environment, trying OpenJDK,
Oracle JDK 7. When reverting to Oracle JDK 6 the application was fine. The
failure was based around JAI failing during GeoServer startup[1], although
Tomcat was able run without error.
- Changes in the command line options relative to Java 6 threw all my usual
optimisation techniques out the window. Anyone have tips configuring Java 7 for
GeoServer use?

[1] I ran into the same failure to start JAI when running Java32 in an RHEL
64bit server. I do not have confidence in my co-workers configuration (and can
ask for details again).