From: chol...@openplans.org [mailto:chol...@openplans.org] On Behalf Of Chris
Holmes
Sent: Wednesday, 26 June 2013 1:17 PM
To: Brett Walker
Cc: geotools-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Geotools-devel] Pull Request Policy

Welcome Brett!

As you can tell we get too many requests from people who aren't actually
interested in joining up and helping out. When I first read your message I
actually suspected you might be up for contributing, but I can see how it was
ambiguous. Would have been good to mention the pull request you made, since it
looks like a couple core devs were excited about it. I'm glad you're up for the
gift economy that is open source.

I think our unofficial rule is (or at least was, it's been way too long since
I've committed to GeoTools) to have at least two or three solid, reasonably
sized patches before commit access. I see your PR at
https://github.com/geotools/geotools/pull/208, would be good to link to the
patches you've done in the past.

But now that everyone knows you're interested in becoming a committer and
helping out I'd guess someone will be inclined to review your PR much sooner.
So I'd say just poke people on your PR's, with offers to help out on issues
they wish were done. And when you make new PR's just poke the list with what
it's about.

Sounds like you have great experience for GeoTools though, so will be really
great to have you aboard. I'm also curious about what areas of GeoTools you're
interested in. Is it just the parts you have experience in? Or are there newer
topics you're interested in diving in to? There are definitely some key areas
of GeoTools where we only have one or two expert, so would be great if you're
interested in some of those.

Chris

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM, Brett Walker