Torben,

aha, well spotted! I recall similar (non-postgis) failures in the past,
for tests that worked only for timezones behind UTC. The solution was to
ensure more robust timezone handling in test fixtures and assertions.

Causes?

(1) As far as I know, nobody regularly runs PostGIS online tests except
CSIRO in Western Australia (UTC+8, I set up these Jenkins jobs when I
worked there), and me running them locally in New Zealand (NZDT UTC+13).
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/Infosrvices/JenkinsGeoserverMaster
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/Infosrvices/JenkinsGeoserverMasterTechnicalNotes
https://cgsrv8.arrc.csiro.au/jenkins/view/geoserver-master/
This one will run postgis tests (just stopped until they add -Ponline in
response to your OnlineTest renaming):
https://cgsrv8.arrc.csiro.au/jenkins/view/geoserver-master/job/geotools-master/

(2) I do not know what date handling changes might have been made, but
Andrea modified SimplifyingFilterVisitor in November. This did not break
online postgis tests on the above mentioned hosts in timezones with
positive UTC offset. Andrea is (usually) in UTC+1 so may also have been
immune if he ran online tests against postgis.
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-4938

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 19/02/15 10:44, Torben Barsballe wrote:
> Thanks for that link Ben. It looks like we are kind of stuck until we get a
> postgis driver that fufills all our needs.
>
> The two Date test failures are unrelated to that issue however.
>
> The test case defines:
> DateFormat df = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-dd-MM");
> df.setTimeZone( TimeZone.getTimeZone("PST"));
> Then, it constructs a query, calling df.parse("2009-28-06"), which returns
> a java.util.Date: "Sun Jun 28 00:00:00 PDT 2009" (Notice the timezone)
> This query eventually has a simplifyingFilterVisitor called on it, which
> causes the date to be cast to a java.sql.Date: "2009-27-06"
> Since sql dates have no time component, the time is truncated and due to
> the timezone results in the 27th.
>
> I assume this test was intended to verify dates that are both < and = to a
> value (Currently, the = portion is what is failing).
> I am curious as to what has changed to make it fail now and not before.
>
> Torben
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <b...@transient.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Torben,
>>
>> please see the discussion in this Jira issue about the various postgres
>> driver versions and the differing failures they cause.
>> https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-4636
>>
>> You might add any new findings to this issue.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Ben.
>>
>> On 19/02/15 07:05, Torben Barsballe wrote:
>>
>>> I have recently been running the Online PostGIS tests, and have run into a
>>> number of existing failures:
>>>
>>> Failed tests:
>>>
>>> PostgisDateOnlineTest>OnlineTestCase.run:123->JDBCDateOnlineTest.
>>> testFiltersByDate:45
>>> expected:<2> but was:<1>
>>>
>>> PostgisLobOnlineTest>OnlineTestCase.run:123->
>>> JDBCLobOnlineTest.testWrite:84
>>> null
>>>
>>> PostgisLobOnlineTest>OnlineTestCase.run:123->
>>> JDBCLobOnlineTest.testRead:66
>>> null
>>>
>>> PostgisDateOnlineTest>OnlineTestCase.run:123->JDBCDateOnlineTest.
>>> testFiltersByDate:45
>>> expected:<2> but was:<1>
>>>
>>> PostgisLobOnlineTest>OnlineTestCase.run:123->
>>> JDBCLobOnlineTest.testWrite:84
>>> null
>>>
>>> PostgisLobOnlineTest>OnlineTestCase.run:123->
>>> JDBCLobOnlineTest.testRead:66
>>> null
>>>
>>> I also observed these failures when testing the 11.5 release.
>>>
>>> I see there is an existing unresolved issue for this problem here:
>>> https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-4594, with a viable solution
>>> (upgrade
>>> the postgres driver)
>>>
>>> Is there any reason we do not upgrade to a newer version of the postgres
>>> driver?
>>> I've tested locally with version 9.1-901.jdbc3
>>> <http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/postgresql/postgresql/9.1-901.jdbc3>,
>>> and it fixed the lob failures, but gave a bunch of new ones:
>>>
>>> Failed tests:
>>>
>>> PostGISFunctionTest>OnlineTestCase.run:123->JDBCFunctionTest.
>>> testStrEndsWithOtherProperty:101->JDBCFunctionTest.assertFeatures:319
>>> Expected to find 3 features, but was 1
>>>
>>> PostgisDataStoreTest>OnlineTestCase.run:123->JDBCDataStoreTest.
>>> testSimpleIndex:208
>>> expected:<[stringProperty]> but was:<["stringProperty"]>
>>>
>>> PostgisDataStoreTest>OnlineTestCase.run:123->JDBCDataStoreTest.
>>> testMultiColumnIndex:249