We keep on going in circles on this one.  No OSGeo doesn’t have any rules
to follow here, if they did we would be following them. If we want to
“follow OSGeo rules” the best thing we can do is look at what the other
established projects do. I looked at both MapServer and GDAL/OGR and they
appear to do the same thing that has been proposed here: they only update
dates in the copyright header when the copyright changes or a file is
created. I gauged this by looking at bunch of recent commits and the
headers in those files. If folks closer to this problem know otherwise
please share.