Jody,

I am happy to proceed with file creation/contribution date despite my
small reservations. I think that file creation/contribution date is the
option that has consensus at this time; it will solve the date
maintenance overhead problem that is the reason for this change.

I move that you ask OSGeo to obtain legal advice on this matter. I see
this as a low priority but I think it would be nice to get some advice
for long-term guidance.

And thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread. It has
clarified my views on copyright headers and and changed my views on
@author tags.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--