Justin,

I appreciate the work you have put into this one, especially your
examination of other OSGeo projects, but in my view, copying the
practices of other projects is another form of circling. Many of these
practices trace their origin to the US pre-Berne. The first GPL licence
was written in 1989, and the BSD code base is much older. Old habits die
hard.

Under SCCS, RCS, and CVS, every file had its own revision. In Subversion
and Git, the state of the whole code base as a single revision. It was
also much more common in the olden days to export code from the VCS
because of file-level locking of checkouts (oh, SCCS on Solaris, how do
I hate thee). With Git, everyone can clone, and everyone has the file
history. (Justin, this is for the benefit of the list: you taught me
pretty much everything I know about Git.)

My fear is that file-level notices with dates is a practice that
accommodates technologies that are no longer in use and conforms to laws
that are no longer in effect. My preference is to centralise licence
information and have a bare-bones statement without dates on files. I
think we have a great opportunity to reduce duplication and simplify our
workflow.

As at least one option has changed, I think we should re-vote.

I liked this comprehensive discussion of the issues:
https://softwarefreedom.org/resources/2012/ManagingCopyrightInformation.html

Kind regards,
Ben.

--