I'd be glad to talk to anyone about my research offline.

two cents,
cmb

 At 02:05 PM 1/5/2005 -0600, Raul Pacheco wrote:
Neil,

While ashamedly I acknowledge I haven't read your book (next on my list for 2005 though!), I must say that I'm one of those scholars that do believe NGOs can be influential much more beyond issue recognition (I can provide empirical evidence for a number of Mexican ENGOs, as a matter of fact --
much of my research has been on that topic). At least in North America, ENGOs have been able to pressure domestic governments and made policy recommendations that were taken into account (I'd be happy to send copies of a few papers should anyone be interested).

It seems to me as though smaller ENGOs don't have the resources to form a strong research pool that can provide scientific advice (hence the formation of epistemic communities, right?). However, it also appears to me as though larger ENGOs could be strong insofar scientific knowledge and therefore have a much more active and influential role.

Just a thought...

Raul

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil E Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Henrik Selin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <gep-ed@listserve1.allegheny.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 8:26 AM
Subject: RE: NGOs and climate change science and policy making

Henrik:

As the title suggests, the book I co-edited with Gary Bryner last year
("Science and Politics in the International Environment," Rowman and
Littlefield, 2004) looked specifically at the relationship between
science and policy making in international environmental issues. One of
our conclusions in the final chapter is that NGOs have little influence
on science or policy beyond getting the issue on the international
agenda. In only one issue (the formation and management of a US-Mexican
biosphere reserve) were NGOs evidently active and influential beyond
issue recognition.

It may be that scholars who look for the influence of NGOs see more of
it (and rate it a more significant influence on policy outcomes) than
those who look generally at the issue. The authors of the case studies
(many of whom are not political scientists) did not specifically seek
out the influence of NGOs but looked holistically at the history of the
issue. The 10 cases (on issues as varied as mad cow disease in Europe,
climate change, dioxins in the Arctic, acid rain, global forest policy,
and watershed management) are specifically written for use in class and
are rich in detailed data on events and actors. To encourage student
participation and discussion they do not draw specific conclusions on
each case. The final chapter considers the usefulness of current
theories on science-policy interactions and find them all wanting. Gary
and I suggest some routes for new theoretical development.

Cheers:

Neil Harrison
SDI/UW