-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Leonard Hirsch
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 3:35 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; gep-ed@listserve1.allegheny.edu
Subject: RE: NGOs and climate change science and policy making

Will and others,

I was trying (clearly not successful) at not being broad-brush--to quote
myself:

" The former is nuanced, but generally negative (NGOs are more
harmful/problematic to science then helpful, supportive only when it
supports them, and then generally using simplistic and simplified versions
which alienates the scientists) and very influential on policy--sometimes."

Generally, more harmful (not always)...

However, your examples bring up what would probably be a very interested
research project which is examining whether there are patterns to real and
perceived impact on science and policy.  Are some areas, such as cetaceans
and marine pollution more open to science?  But the WDCS, whose work I
admire greatly, is as much, if not more, of an advocacy group than a
scientific organization.  The questions they ask, and therefore the results
they get are based not on understanding cetaceans, sensu strictu, but on
making the case for conservation (a concept I advocate).  Even their
scientific reports have language such as: "Whilst no quantification can be
made of these threats at this time, they may still be significant for the
conservation of populations." (CETACEANS IN THE INDIAN OCEAN SANCTUARY: A
REVIEW A WDCS SCIENCE REPORT
[http://www.wdcs.org/dan/publishing.nsf/c525f7df6cbf01ef802569d600573108/9c7
6567b8cc72ff080256d2d00301341/$FILE/IOSreview.pdf]

These threats may also not be significant for the conservation of
populations.  (Again, I, like the authors, would hypothesize that when
examined, we will find impact--the scientific question is what is the impact
of the impact, not that it is there and should therefore be stopped (an
advocacy position).

It is this difficulty of separating out science from advocacy that I was
trying to (and perhaps now evening confusing more) point out as an issue for
discourse--much more pointalism, not a broad brush indictment.

The future is an act of the imagination. (from Ziegler 1987)
----------------
Leonard P. Hirsch
Smithsonian Institution

New mailing address:
1100 Jefferson Drive SW  #3123
PO Box 37012
Q-3123 MRC 705
Washington, DC 20013-7012

1.202.633.4788
1.202.312.2888 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> "Wil Burns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/06/05 05:10AM >>>
Leonard,

I have to say that I find this broad-brush indictment of NGOs' role in
scientific research to be rather unfair. For example, I work closely with
ACCOBAMS, one of the regional whaling regimes under the Convention on
Migratory Species. Several NGOs, including the Whale & Dolphin
Conservation
Society and the Tethys Institute are the bulwark of scientific research
for
the treaty instrument, and I must say that not only do I find their work
of
the highest caliber scientifically, but also not driven by pre-ordained
conclusions or particular agendas. Ditto for the work of NGOs in the
context
of ASCOBANS, the other regional whaling treaty under the CMS. In both
regimes, the NGOs work very closely with the members of the parties'
scientific committees. I would generally say ditto for the NGOs that have
worked with LRTAP. Wil

Wil Burns, Co-Chair
American Society of International Law - International Environmental Law
Group
1702 Arlington Blvd.
El Cerrito, CA 94530 USA
Ph: 650.281.9126