Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 4:16 PM
Subject: RE: Green "identity" of states?

Neil,

Identity, as I understand much of the literature on it from multiple fields, is constucted and often ascriptive.  If I identify as a muslim, I do not need to be constantly "acting like one" in order to have a muslim identity.  Likewise, if I am a gay man, I need not be "acting gay" in order to sustain the identity.  Others may say I am not "religious enough" or "gay enough," but I may still identify as such.  If I do identify as such, it certainly might be very interesting to know how that identify effects some of my choices, actions and other aspects of my identity. This is a different set of questions than are invloved by a researcher or student measuring my identity against a set standard for "gayness."
Back to Costa Rica and Beth's student:  I fail to see the utility in attempting to 'assess' whether or not costa rica is 'green enough' to meet the standards of environmental professors and researchers like many of the folks on this list. I do think there are a host of other useful and interesting questions.  There is a literature on "national identity" (related to the literature on political culture), as I recall from the distant time of my comparative politics comp exams.  The approaches in that more general literature might be a nice place for Beth's student to begin.
BETH:  you might send the student to the "annual reviews" of anthropology, sociology, psych and polisci.  I don't have specific citations in from of me, but I know these publications have published reviews of the literature and research on various aspects of identity in recent years.

--Stacy