Date:    Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:01:14 +0000

Following Leonard's note, I should elaborate briefly on Costa Rica's green
identity.  We need to distinguish between the "identity" portion of Beth's
query and the larger issue of accomplishments in the environmental
arena.  I interpret the identity question to mean does a state (or,
alternatively, does a society) conceive of itself and/or present itself as
pro-environment.  So refining the question requires clarifying achievements
vs identify; state vs social identity; and identify as notion of self or
one's identity in the eyes of others.

Costa Rica is an interesting test case for Beth's question, not because of
its achievements (which are considerable, and are documented in my book and
elsewhere) but because its leaders have gone to great lengths to present a
green image to the world.  Nearly every Costa Rican president since the
early 1970s has paid considerable attention to environmental policy, both
rhetorically and in terms of policy decisions.  Beginning in the mid-1980s
the country's policy elites started to project this image abroad, making it
a central piece of foreign policy, positioning the country at the leading
edge of a wide variety of international initiatives (debt-for-nature swaps,
joint implementation, payment for ecosystem services, etc) and advertising
Costa Rica as a major ecotourism destination.

The domestic dynamic is very different, with PLN party leaders choosing
sustainability as a suitable conceptual framework for the post-Cold War
era, bipartisan alliances ensuring continuity in environmental programs,
and widespread, autonomous social mobilization for the environment that
proceeded in lock-step with state initiatives.  What is the connection
between social green identify and the national green identify touted by
leaders?  So many questions, so little time.

Paul

Beth, Paul, et al,

Costa Rica certainly has a "green" self-identity: that is what it tells
the world it is. But Costa Rica also has a rapidly growing population,
fairly rapid industrialization, and one of the highest rates of
deforestation in the world, among other environmental problems. I spent
about a quarter of last year in Costa Rica and did not see (using
non-quantitative measures) that it was evidently sustainable, despite
its good scores on sustainability metrics (from CIESIN, for example).
Apart from public finance problems, gross under funding of
sustainability policies, much illegal logging, and an almost complete
absence of central government participation in many rural areas, it
imports most liquid fuels (but exports hydro-electricity - so you can
see that it has intervened in many watersheds) and many consumer goods.
It is beautiful but far from perfect.

Identity is of interest not for its existence but its effects and as
Paul comments, it is wise to dissect "identity" into smaller particles
(especially separating self- from other). As Beth comments her student
is interested in "the concept of states developing (and acting upon)
green identities." For several reasons Costa Rica has not acted well
upon its green self-identity. It has a very high national debt load and
a weak and corrupt central government (its last three or four presidents
from both sides of the political spectrum have been indicted). Its
government finances are heavily burdened by large inefficient
parastatals that, however, contribute much to a quite enviable equality
of development  across the country. So, even in that paragon
"self-identity" has not translated into really effective government
action. However, if the country tells itself enough times that it is
green its people begin to get the idea. What is truly amazing in Costa
Rica is how much of the green identity is put into practice at the
community level with assistance from many local NGOs. I have been
assisting one community association in its search for funding to buy and
expand the last local stands of primary forest (if you know of any good
$$ sources, please let me know). Thus, identity may be more important as
an educational tool than as a policy motivator and as I concluded in my
2000 book, sustainable development ultimately is about changing the
minds of the people,

Cheers,

Neil