For a committee I'm on (proposing directions for a university
environmental institute) I've been charged with determining what people in
my research community see as emerging environmental issues.  These can be
based on topic/issue area (e.g. nanotechnology, nitrogen pollution),
approach (e.g. market mechanisms for environmental regulation, private
regulatory processes), or even thinking about other ways we might usefully
consider environmental issues (e.g. consumption, sufficiency).

So, if you're willing to weigh in, where do you see our field going in the
not-too-distant future?  What are the things we as scholars should be
gearing up to try to consider?

Incidentally, this shouldn't be limited to an international focus -- all
scales, from very local, through national and international, are relevant.

Thanks in advance to those willing to conceptualize and speculate.

Beth

Elizabeth R. DeSombre
Wellesley College