I second comments on consumption issues: The European Environment Report: State and Outlook 2005 report by the European Environment Agency argues that there is a fundamental shift going on in the source of European environmental problems from production to consumption patterns. This is increasingly true in also many other regions/countries of the world.

Henrik

Beth,

I would second Stacy's very good suggestions.

Transparency and accountability will continue to develop as important themes for research and activism. Developing analyses of how these can restrain environmental degradation would be very helpful. Also, how developing information tools and institutional mechanisms (e.g., certification, regulation, improved feedback loops between consumers and producers) can contribute. This theme is probably the most central, since it will underlie every topic that you could think of, and cross every scale.

The hidden costs of technology, transportation, and production are going to grow in significance. Electronic wastes are one example of overlooked technology impacts, but there are many others. Long-distance transportation is a curiously ignored phenomenon, yet shipping foods, goods, and people worldwide pollutes, contributes to climate change, and reinforces fossil fuels. But how can these hidden costs be mapped? And what about the movement of diseases like bird flu? I would say that these all are facets of globalization that could be studied together.

Environmental health is another crucial area. Having worked in California, I have joined the Collaborative on Health and Environment and have become aware of a very wide range of human and ecological health trends that may have environmental causes contributing. (Their website will give you many ideas for what to think about and where to look.) I would say that we are posed on a frontier right now as the politics of chemicals and nanotechnology change with new science and the body burden idea. Yet there are few policies or institutional ideas for addressing such issues.

Consumption will be even more critical as China, India and other industrializing countries expand, and industrial countries don't deal with their resource use. We need to go beyond technical analyses and link consumption with industrial transformation. Industrial transformation and how this can occur is still quite open. In California, for example, "green chemistry" is starting to emerge as an area of policy-making for industry to adopt safer, more sustainable chemicals. Linking science and politics for change is a very promising area for scholarship. In addition, the "peak oil" issue and biomass energy sources has started to crop up on my radar screen lately.

I also support biodiversity and climate change as ongoing important areas of work. We are still very far from achieving policies and institutions that work, so perhaps fresh angles can be found in these areas.

I think Raul Pacheco asked a similar question on GEP-ed late last year, so the thread for that may be of interest as well.

Cheers,
Alastair

Quoting "VanDeveer, Stacy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Beth,

I agree with much of what has been said.  In the medium term, I think the nexus of public sector transparency/corruption and environmental degradation and management (and hence corporate governance) will continue to be a growing area of activism and scholarship.

On a different note, I would add some very open empirical questions for various strands of environmental research. The open questions revolve around a similar thematic question: Are there environmental explanations (or environment induced drivers) for several observed (or hypothesized?) changes in human health.  For example, are there environmental factors in increasing human infertility? Autism? Auto-immune diseases/conditions? Etc.

--sv