All,
Not quite the backstory but there is a good response to the film that is, fortunately, also a film. ABC (for Americans, this stands for Australian Broadcasting ...) did a debate that intersperses clips of the film with responses by people like Steve Schneider to the film and a relatively tough interviewing of the filmmaker, himself.
And, thanks to youtube, its all on line.
Its nine segments but the first one is at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQfD2DNnUQ
(I think that will work but if not google -- "great global warming swindle" site:www.youtube.com )
Best,
Ron