From: Michael Maniates [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wed 10/24/2007 9:15 AM
To: gep-ed@listserve1.allegheny.edu
Subject: The Great Global Warming Swindle

Hello all,

Does anyone have the backstory on The Great Global Warming Swindle, a
"contrarian" climate change video aired in the UK recently and now available on
DVD?  My understanding is that many of the scientists in the video objected to
how their on-camera comments were manipulated in the editing process.  I've
also gleaned from the web -- from totally unreliable sources I might add --
that both Channel 4, which aired the movie, and the producers distanced
themselves from the production because of data falsification, and that the show
has not been run in the U.S. (even by Fox News) because of this.

But most of this comes to me through third-person contacts or random web sites.
 Do any of you have the larger story, or can you point me in the right
directions?

I ask because a colleague of mine at Allegheny, in response to a request from
students who feel silenced by the energy Al Gore has generated, is thinking of
screening this video as a formal, College-sanctioned event to "bring balance to
the debate on campus."

As an aside, I think The Great Global Warming Swindle can be a useful addition
to teaching tool-box of those of us who teach the climate-change controversy.
And I myself wouldn't object to the video if it's used to teach the debate.
I'm more wary of Swindle as a definitive, credible "counter-balance" to
Inconvenient Truth or the material that my colleagues and I present in the
classroom, in large part because of its accusations of conspiracy and
intentional distortion of data.

Feel free to reply to me off-list.  I'll summarize the helpful replies and
repost them for all to see.

Yours,
Mike Maniates
Allegheny College