The November issue of Global Environmental Politics is a special issue, edited by Kathryn Harrison and Lisa Sundstrom on the climate change politics of the Annex 1 countries (with country specific reports).

There is lots of good work on Japan: Ohta Hiroshi, Yasuko Kameyama, Hidefumi Imura, just to name a few. I've written quite a bit about Japanese climate change politics.

In addition to a piece in GEP by Yves Tiberghien and myself on Japan's Kyoto Protocol politics, here are a few others:

“Japan in the Greenhouse: the Challenge of Addressing Rising Emissions,” in Brendan Barrett, ed., /Ecological Modernisation in Japan/ (London, UK: Routledge, 2005), pp. 148-65.

“The Climate Change Divide: The European Union, the United States, and the Future of the Kyoto Protocol,” in Norman J. Vig and Michaele Faure, eds., /Green Giants? Environmental Policy of the United States and the European Union/ (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2004), pp. 207-30.

Best, Miranda Schreurs

Steven Bernstein wrote:
Dear GEPeders,

I am having my students do a climate chage simulation and a couple are
having trouble finding good recent analyses of the policies of Japan and
Australia (domestic or foreign policy).  They have searched the usual
sources, plus the country reports available through the UNFCCC.  I'm
wondering if anyone has either written anything themselves or knows of
any good book chapters or articles on the policies of these countries.

Thanks,
Steven

----------------
Steven Bernstein
Associate Professor, Department of Political Science
Associate Director, Centre for International Studies
University of Toronto
1 Devonshire Place
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3K7
Tel: 416 946-8930 Fax: 416 946-8915