I can tell you a few of the topics that my students really get into in my class:

Diamonds - this is huge and every year I have students in my class just because
they've heard other students talk about this issue

Whaling - students love the 'vote buying' controversies and there are some
great youtube videos on the topic

Population policies - in particular I have students think about why people have
children, what is the role of government, NGOs, IGOs etc...

Food security - compare to obesity epidemic in the United States

E-waste - again there are some great youtube videos on this

Biodiversity - I talk a lot about food here -- how global food trends affect
biodiversity, cultural food differences (e.g. shark fin soup)

Hope this helps!
Shannon

Shannon K. Orr, Ph.D.
Scholar in Residence - BGSU Institute for Cultural Studies
Assistant Professor/Graduate Coordinator
Political Science Department
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43402
(419) 372-7593