I think the amount of poopies they do is related to their level of stress.  Gerbils on
the whole do not like the exercise balls.  I know mine absolutely abhors them.  They'd
do anything to stay out of them, including hanging on for dear life to a pot inverted
over the ball to make them drop into it!  And when they do get tricked into them, my
gerbils produce an excessive amount of poopies.  I'd suggest you stop putting them
into the balls if they continue to do so.

As for pooping on you ... maybe they're not comfortable enough with you yet?

Amy