Hi Christina,

I suspect that you didn't get an answer before because nobody had this experience.  I
can only say that gerbils do not normally "twitch" in mid-jumps as you described.  I
think if they're both doing that and they seem "abnormal", you should take them to the
doctor just in case.

As for them running for cover, unless it's related to whatever's causing them to
twitch in mid-jump, they're probably just very timid right now.  Give them lots of
patience, put you hands in their cage until they're more used to your smell and
presence, and hand-offer them treats.  Basically, act as though you're meeting them
again for the first time and they don't know you at all.

Let me/us know what happens (both topics  :-)).

Amy