On 11/29/2016 12:24 PM, Mark Hampton wrote:
> I’d like to investigate storing waveform traces in a new format. Does someone
> know of a VPI/VHPI extension for ghdl that does signal tracing ? Any pointers
> to existing code that might be useful would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I’d like to use the VPI or VHPI rather than modify ghdl’s code.

To get started, perhaps something like a signal logging function could
be written by following the examples in [1,2].

[1]:
http://ghdl.readthedocs.io/en/latest/GHDL_implementation_of_VHDL.html#interfacing-to-other-languages

[2]: http://ygdes.com/GHDL/

If the new trace formats are to support complex VHDL types, marshaling
the data structures through the interface in such a way that information
isn't lost might get interesting.

What kind of file format do you have in mind?