impress is probably as good as weve got for a page layout app. so
something like that would be a good development, especially with your
experience.

we do need good non linear animation, but i think the best way to do that
would be to build it around the gimp, alot like GAP, but to support some
the cool features of mng and other such niceities the export would have to
be directly from it, not back to the gimps layered amination
thing. meaning it would have its own format which i would either include
the xcf files or pointers to them (like in index in a directory, which may
really be a tgz file or some such). wonder how hard sound syncronization
would be...

anyway, theres some stuff for you to think about. hope it helps.