On 12/05/2013 12:28 AM, Simon Budig wrote:
Brendan Scott (disposableem...@apps.opensourcelaw.biz) wrote:
What I have also said is that if
the purpose of the distinction is to preserve work, it didn't serve
that function for me.  That suggests to me that the UI "may need more
thought".

You ought to ask your question of someone else.

To me it is entirely unclear, what in your workflow differenciates a
"good" warning dialog from a "bad" warning dialog.

It "may be" that it's not about warning dialogs.  At the moment I'm trying to
just describe the issue I have faced.

Without a hint from you we're 100% in the "Do-What-I-Mean-Button"
ballpark which is not really helping with the "more thought" we might
need.

I gathered from your mail, that you lost work because the save/export
distinction conditioned you into clicking the warning away. So, if you
don't want us to remove the warning, what are our options?

I will assume then that you haven't seen my earlier posts.

Here is some more detail.   Ordinarily (since May when I started using GIMP
regularly-ish), I work in xcf and have no desire to export except maybe once at
the end.  So, the default set up suits me most of the time.

There are two occasions where I used export rather than save.  The first was
doing some levels and cropping on photos I had taken (scores, but I've not
processed them all yet).  That went swimmingly, but the close dialogs were
annoying.  The second was editing out a background on 70 odd (poorly-) chroma
keyed photos (to be composited with a background by someone else).  I got
through a small number before realising that I was exporting to jpg, losing the
transparent areas I'd added.

I lost some work because of the format I was using and the save/export
distinction didn't avoid that.  Partly this was because I was habituated to
ignore the save as xcf warning.  This is probably because the warning appears
no matter what the risk is (or, in the case of my cropping etc, when there was
no risk).  The save warnings are false positives because they are triggered by
an irrelevant condition (ie close with export but no save).  The true trigger
for a warning was that I was trying to export an image to an inconsistent
format (ie image has transparency but format doesn't support it).

I am confident that I would have taken more notice of a warning (because it
would be out of the ordinary) if it: (a) didn't pop up the false positives; but
(b) did pop up an inconsistent format warning. Apparently this functionality or
something like it was in 2.6?