On 04/06/2018 12:05 AM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-04-05 at 23:40 -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:

>>> It can happen if the program's binary is owned by the root user and
>>> is
>>> mode u+s (set-userid).
>>>
>>> Liam (ankh)
>>
>> Yikes.
>>
>> One "should" not allow this either, without a very good reason...
>
> On most user applications, no, although
> ls -l /usr/bin/ | grep '^[^ ]*s' | wc -l
> gives 36 results here (many setgid rather than setuid, and not all
> owned by root, but e.g. su, sudo, umount, all have to be root-owned and
> suid.).
>
> It's possible to disable set-userid file modes from being respected
> using a mount option, but using that on the system partitions would
> break yuor system.

Ah so.  My comprehension of Linux internals is only rudimentary, but
once pointed out it's obvious that su, sudo and umount would be owned by
root - only root can do the things they enable a user with the root
password to do.

A graphics editor or a wrapper for portable applications?  Not so much.  :D