* Steve Kinney <ad...@pilobilus.net> [04-06-18 03:15]:

> On 04/06/2018 12:05 AM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> >> Yikes.
> >>
> >> One "should" not allow this either, without a very good reason...
> >
> > On most user applications, no, although
> > ls -l /usr/bin/ | grep '^[^ ]*s' | wc -l
> > gives 36 results here (many setgid rather than setuid, and not all
> > owned by root, but e.g. su, sudo, umount, all have to be root-owned and
> > suid.).
> >
> > It's possible to disable set-userid file modes from being respected
> > using a mount option, but using that on the system partitions would
> > break yuor system.
>
> Ah so.  My comprehension of Linux internals is only rudimentary, but
> once pointed out it's obvious that su, sudo and umount would be owned by
> root - only root can do the things they enable a user with the root
> password to do.
>
> A graphics editor or a wrapper for portable applications?  Not so much.  :D

not knowing flatpack, the package was probably installed using root
account and took the installer account perms and file locations.  if
installed into root's home, would indeed have root perms, even as
illogical as that would be.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode