Thanks for the response.  I am running Ubuntu 19.04 64 bit.  GIMP is version
10.10.10.  When I navigate to ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins and run 'ls', there
are no files that show up.  In GIMP, if I follow the Filters dropdown menu to
Python or Script-fu, there is little there other than Console/Console-Refresh
Scripts-Start Server.

I would like to install GimpLensFun, G'Mic (which I understand is a plugin), and
explore some of the other offerings.
I do not find any GIMP plugins available in the Ubuntu software center, and, as
you seem to indicate, my online search returned plugins that I guess are for the
Windows version of GIMP.

GIMP 10.10 "flogged my eyes" such that I took serious notice of darktable which,
in the first 10.10 GIMP that I installed was called as the RAW converter
whenever I clicked on a RAW file to open it in GIMP.

I am very happy to have become acquainted with darktable, but have not spent
much time in GIMP lately.

I don't ask you to do all the work for me, just point me in the right direction.
When you say that plugins in the ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins folder have to be
set to executable, I understand what you mean, but have never set anything to
executable, so have no idea what I would be looking for or how to "flip the
switch."

I apologize for not giving you a better description of my setup in my original
post, but would appreciate if, given what I have described here, you could
provide a few more clues.

Thanks.

Caruso

--