Curious why you find the software center "awful", but I appreciate the
information provided in your post.  Will work through it today to see what it
delivers for my system.

I don't think I did anything special to get GIMP 10.10.10, nor can I comment on
whether enabling PPA sources influences what one sees in the software center (I
have never personally noticed such).

Thanks again for the reply.  I am anxious to work through your suggestions.

Caruso

--
Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)