On Saturday 12 June 2004 02:17 am, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Greg Rundlett wrote:
> > With other platforms or distros, you're potentially going to run into
> > "blockers".   These are issues that GIMP developers/testers/volunteers
> > might want to address in a) an install script (if that is even possible)
> > or b) an install guide.
> >
> > I expect the more 'polished' software to have installers that take care
> > of the complexities.  OpenOffice.org does a good job of hiding the
> > complexities, and Mozilla has been more recently successful in this area
> > as well.  I think GIMP, and GTK are essential parts of the Free Software
> > desktop, so I hope that any ordinary user can take advantage of them.
> >
> > All I am reporting is that it can be difficult to install GIMP.  If I
> > were capable of making it easier to install, I would.
>
> Well, it is hardly GIMP's job to care for all the requirements of the
> platform you're using... maybe you should complain on a Fedora mailing
> list instead?

I disagree. We, as free software authors, benefit by making our software easy
to install. By doing so, we encourage "looky-lous" to try out our software,
and some day become users, then developers who further enhance our software.
This is the way we grow.

When we developers use a tool or library to make our work easier, it's our job
to make it easy for the user to install that tool or library.

Most Gimp users want to spend their brainpower on making new and interesting
images -- not on getting the software installed. If Gimp relies on tools
provided by the operating system or the gcc libraries, Gimp should find ways
to make installation easy in environments of widely differing versions of
these tools.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG