On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 12:57:55PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Saturday 12 June 2004 02:17 am, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> > Greg Rundlett wrote:
> > > With other platforms or distros, you're potentially going to run into
> > > "blockers".   These are issues that GIMP developers/testers/volunteers
> > > might want to address in a) an install script (if that is even possible)
> > > or b) an install guide.
> > >
> > > I expect the more 'polished' software to have installers that take care
> > > of the complexities.  OpenOffice.org does a good job of hiding the
> > > complexities, and Mozilla has been more recently successful in this area
> > > as well.  I think GIMP, and GTK are essential parts of the Free Software
> > > desktop, so I hope that any ordinary user can take advantage of them.
> > >
> > > All I am reporting is that it can be difficult to install GIMP.  If I
> > > were capable of making it easier to install, I would.
> >
> > Well, it is hardly GIMP's job to care for all the requirements of the
> > platform you're using... maybe you should complain on a Fedora mailing
> > list instead?
>
> I disagree. We, as free software authors, benefit by making our software easy
> to install. By doing so, we encourage "looky-lous" to try out our software,
> and some day become users, then developers who further enhance our software.
> This is the way we grow.

then maybe the packagers need to work more closely with the developers
and gimp would be a good one since it really uses much of the computers
resources.

distributions make some very crazy decisions.

i would encourage anyone who is using fedora to actually consider using
debian since fedora is (the way i understand it) redhat, only free, not
actually being worked on by redhat but by a community that is supposed
to work like debian.  which is only a distribution that is being worked
on by a community.  less jumps in logic to what should be the same end.

gentoo is another one that made some crazy decisions on how it works.

> When we developers use a tool or library to make our work easier, it's our job
> to make it easy for the user to install that tool or library.

distributions claim ease of installation.  it is very easy to use the
autotools and make tools to install gimp.  this is the promise that the
gimp developers make.

yum is a fedora idea and no one on the gimp developer team has anything
to say about how yum works.  i actually get the creeps even typing the
word -- yum.  who came up with that?

> Most Gimp users want to spend their brainpower on making new and interesting
> images -- not on getting the software installed. If Gimp relies on tools
> provided by the operating system or the gcc libraries, Gimp should find ways
> to make installation easy in environments of widely differing versions of
> these tools.

use make and autoconf.  GIMP stans for GNU Image Manipulation Program.
this is the promise.  use a distribution that promises gnu and gimp
should be no problem to install.

i hope that gimp developers are interested in having gimp install easily
with gnu tools.  it always has installed easily with these tools and i
suspect always will.

carol