Greg Rundlett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
My hope is that the 'tricks' to installing on these notoriously
difficult distributions can be added to GIMP.org.  For example:
Compiling from source is not recommended unless you know about X, Y,
and Z.  To learn more about X, Y, and Z, go here.  You need -dev RPMs
for all your tools and libraries.  You can get those off your distro
CDs if you have Source RPMs, or you can download them here..

Sven Neumann wrote: Nothing of this is GIMP specific. All just basic problems common to whatever software you compile. Why should this info be duplicated yet another time on the gimp.org web-site?

I don't know. I guess I don't know where to find this info so if there is somewhere else on the net (e.g. tldp.org) where I can quickly learn the essentials that I'm going to need but are beyond the scope of the gimp.org download page, then it would be good to have a link to that reference source. For example, there is a 10-part HOWTO at tldp.org on compiling Apache from source (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Apache-Compile-HOWTO/index.html)

Gimp.org tells me that compiling from source is not so hard as long as you have met these dependencies....when I did download and install the dependencies, I found that there was a specific order for installing these (not addressed on gimp.org), and that there were also some dependencies of the dependencies that were not listed on gimp.org.

The install for Windows XP, and Debian (Sarge) are frictionless. With other platforms or distros, you're potentially going to run into "blockers". These are issues that GIMP developers/testers/volunteers might want to address in a) an install script (if that is even possible) or b) an install guide.

I expect the more 'polished' software to have installers that take care of the complexities. OpenOffice.org does a good job of hiding the complexities, and Mozilla has been more recently successful in this area as well. I think GIMP, and GTK are essential parts of the Free Software desktop, so I hope that any ordinary user can take advantage of them.

All I am reporting is that it can be difficult to install GIMP. If I were capable of making it easier to install, I would.