On Saturday 11 December 2004 06:11, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I have downloaded the latest help file. Befor I untar it, where is
> > it supposed to go? Or more particularly, where is it supposed to be
> > when I untar it?
>
> Just untar them and read the installation instructions in the file
> INSTALL.

OK the instructions say run ./configure and ./configure fails because it can't
find a file called gimp-2.0 pc. I searched my disks (several versions of Gimp
laying around) and no such file exists. The ./configure run also says:
"couldn't find a Gimp-2.0 installation". There are about three laying around.

So, back to my original question. Where should I try to untar the Gimp help
tarball? I don't want to muck up a functioning Gimp installation by untarring
them in the wrong location.

Perhaps I am using the wrong tarball. When you go to the site and look for
help files all you can find is a directory called "test" or "testing" which
holds about 5 different versions of help files.  I picked out the most recent
one, 2.05

The best solution of course would be to have the help files integrated with
the Gimp package itself. That is the way most packages work. Failing that, a
help tarball in parallel to the current stable version and with explicit
instructions on installation (i.e. where) would be most helpful. I suppose I
will have to go to a Knoppix disk and figure out where the help files go from
its internal structure.  Oh well.
--
John Culleton

Short list of publishing/marketing books: