On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 02:54:07PM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> On Saturday 11 December 2004 06:11, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > I have downloaded the latest help file. Befor I untar it, where is
> > > it supposed to go? Or more particularly, where is it supposed to be
> > > when I untar it?
> >
> > Just untar them and read the installation instructions in the file
> > INSTALL.
> >
> OK the instructions say run ./configure and ./configure fails because it
> can't
> find a file called gimp-2.0 pc. I searched my disks (several versions of Gimp
> laying around) and no such file exists. The ./configure run also says:
> "couldn't find a Gimp-2.0 installation". There are about three laying around.

the solution to this is to show ./configure where the file (gimp-2.0.pc)
is.  running the "gimpenv" script from wgo should fix that:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv

it tells your shell what it needs to know by setting the proper
environment variables.

> So, back to my original question. Where should I try to untar the Gimp help
> tarball? I don't want to muck up a functioning Gimp installation by untarring
> them in the wrong location.
>
> Perhaps I am using the wrong tarball. When you go to the site and look for
> help files all you can find is a directory called "test" or "testing" which
> holds about 5 different versions of help files.  I picked out the most recent
> one, 2.05

you are imagining opening up a tarball of html, i think.  what you have
downloaded is the means to make html, pdf, sgtml, xml and
whoknowwhatelseml.  your question is not being asked correctly.

> The best solution of course would be to have the help files integrated with
> the Gimp package itself. That is the way most packages work. Failing that, a
> help tarball in parallel to the current stable version and with explicit
> instructions on installation (i.e. where) would be most helpful. I suppose I
> will have to go to a Knoppix disk and figure out where the help files go from
> its internal structure.  Oh well.

a tarball of html because that is all anyone will ever use?  you jest!

carol