I discovered Open Office Draw today...

A dream come true. The program is layed out for drawing lines/arrows,
squares and circles. No paths or layers to deal with. Perfect for me.

I did this drawing in about 30 minutes:
http://www.geocities.com/klairbab/beta.gif

Everything came out the right size. The font size really is 14 pt (and
too big for this document).

I can select the objects by pointing at them, move them around, resize
them. They retain their identity.

I can even select a group of objects using the [rectanglular] select
tool, and copy and paste the group into a new location. Draw does a
deep copy. You get new objects which look exactly like the old ones,
clones.

Funny thing was I couldn't find the crop button, so I used Gimp to resize it.

The crop button was described in the help, but I couldn't find the
'graphics object' toolbar. Have no idea where it could be. (I managed
to find this toolbar in the 'Customize' dialog box. I could configure
it, the but I couldn't find it!)

Draw even claims to do scalable vector graphics, but I didn't get that
deep into it. I'm afraid to look, afraid of being disappointed.

The native file format is xml, I forget the extension, like OO Office,
.swx, or something like that.

Wouldn't it be nice if Draw used the 3wc svg schema?

Even if it did you'd have to deal with rendering the drawing. That
would mean a plug-in for the browser, which only seem to display gifs
and jpegs with any consistency.

Joe
http://modern-greek-verbs.tripod.com/

PS

I revisited Microsoft Paint today. It hasn't changed since I first met
it in Windows 98. It has a very simple user interface. I could still
make it work.

The text box merely puts the bitmapped image of the text on the
drawing surface. When you leave the little editor, Paint forgets it
was a text object, but it's pretty simple to copy and paste the thing.

Paint even has buttons for boxes with rounded corners. I remember
doing documentation for a keyboard layout using them, a hundred of
them.

All this is speculative of course, but I wonder how I would do it in
Gimp. Gimp has alot of flexibility, so much, in fact, I didn't know
where to begin. That was the problem. To make things worse, I'm sure
I'll forget the Gimp abstractions in a couple weeks. That's what made
Paint so useful. Nothing to remember.

I see there are alot of drawing programs out there. The commercial
ones, I don't know them, so I don't know what Adobe is offering,
probably something pretty nice, a Cadillac, with scalable vector
graphics.

A friend teaches AutoCad so I got used to watching her make floor plans.

Another friend is an interior decorator and uses AutoCad.

They told me the selling price is $5,000 US, and the program only runs
on a Windows platform. They have managed to get copies for free.

This means I'd get a chance to test the Windows emulator for Linux,
what was it called? Something catchy, like "Pine" or something.

"Wine" that's it. "Windows Emulator" ... another program that sounds
to good to be true.

But I'll probably never get a chancem because Helen and Katerina have
no idea what Linux is. They strictly do Windows.

Working these programs is purely instinctive. When you learn how to do
it you can do it in a flash. No need to explain how it works to use
it, it's like driving a car. I envy you graphics designers. You are in
touch with your inner selves, very creative, men and women of few
words. All this comes naturally to you.

Me?

I like numbers. I can't make it work if I don't understand it -- and I
don't drive a car.