On Friday 28 September 2007 14:12:30 David Southwell wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2007 10:45:14 Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 04:04 -0700, gimp_user wrote:
> > > While the absence of a recognised skill transition route (i.e. no skin
> > > similar to PS) is a serious obstacle affecting the ability  of multiple
> > > individuals to collaborate in a supply chain comprising multiple
> > > organisations it is far from being the only reason while Gimp is not
> > > currently in a position to seriously challenge PS.
>
> On Friday 28 September 2007 09:14:50 gimp_user wrote:

> > You are making the wrong assumption here that GIMP would want to
> > challenge PS. It doesn't, that's not how Free Software works.
>
> Actually if you had not had not cut out the part of my contribution that is
> relevant to this point you will see I actually said:
> "

> "
>
> > GIMP has different goals than Photoshop and instead of concentrating on
> > being as similar to Photoshop as possible, our feature set and user
> > interface will in the future diverge even further from Photoshop.
>
> IT would be interesting to see what those goals are. This discussion
> started because users who are making a considerable investment in time to
> learn gimp are also interested in knowing how they can use it in the
> future. This discussion is therefore at least as relevant to users as it is
> to developers.
>
> Wether or no  GIMP is planning to develop in ways that will provide
> non-destructive editing and full support for raw and 16+ bit is something
> that is really relevant and the views of users need to be sought.
>
> > Simply
> > because we have a different vision for what GIMP should become and
> > because we believe that this vision is a lot more interesting than
> > trying to compete with a commercial product.
>
> OK but how do users contribute to the vision creation process?
>
> > As soon as GIMP 2.4 is released, we will start to integrate GEGL to the
> > GIMP core and our plans for an image manipulation program based on GEGL
> > go way beyond what Photoshop offers.

David Herman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> interjected at this point:
"Thank you for saying eloquently what I would have stated rudely :-)"

To which my response is:
Those who have something valuable to say do not need to be rude. Sven's
response was both pertinent and helpful.

I had previously said there was no suggestion on my part that Gimp "should"
move in any specific direction. However IMHO users need to understand the
imp[lications of varying opportunities so they can influence the direction of
development. I therefore look forward tot Sven helping users understand the
implications of his vision.