On 10/09/2010 09:56 AM, Ofnuts wrote:
>    On 09/10/2010 15:36, gerard82 wrote:
>
>> I want to buy a Wacom tablet for use in Gimp.
>> I browsed the web and noticed they come in different sizes.
>> Is size important and why?
>>
> Not *that* important... bigger tablets mean wider moves, but bigger
> tablets are also more accurate.
Again, please be careful with this.  It's the resolution that sets this
not the size.  A small tablet can be high resolution.  A small pro-level
expensive tablet WILL have higher resolution than a large inexpensive
non-pro tablet.  Size doesn't tell you anything about resolution.  It's
like the difference between a small hi-def tv and a larger regular-def
tv.  The hi-def still has higher resolution, i.e. dots/in.
> Personally I like my Bamboo One, it's
> small enough to be slipped in the PC bag when needed.
>

>> Also some come with "touch" is it of any use in Gimp?
>>
> Yes... many Gimp tools are pressure-sensitive with a tablet, and will
> give you the choice of how to apply the pressure (opacity, width...).
> The "pro" tablets have a more accurate pressure scale (4096 values, vs
> 256 for an entry-level Bamboo).

That's not touch.  Touch is the ability to use without a pen or stylus.
On the more inexpensive tablets Wacom lets you choose Pen and Touch, Pen
only, or Touch only.  Pen is required, for drawing, touch might be a
cool addition.

Pressure sensitivity is required for drawing.
> Another cool feature of most Wacom tablets is that both stylus tips are
> active, so you can switch tools by reversing the stylus (one isn't
> pressure sensitive and is usually asigned to the Eraser tool.

That IS cool.  I often reach over and click different tools anyway
'cause it's faster then flipping the stylus in my hand.

Patrick