On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:39 PM, git_usr <mygitgg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think I understand what you mean, but problem is apache and
> gitorious are using port:80.
> Pound listens on 443 and once it auth's client certs it lets traffic
> through to port 80.

So you should be able to access port 80 (Apache directly) to bypass the
authentication? If the firewall has port 80 open and you don't want users to
be able to access Gitorious over port 80 you could restrict the access to
127.0.0.1 only.

> I'm confused, becuase I thought $ git push origin master goes over
> ssh, which bypasses pound to the internal gitorious server?

When a user attempts to push, Gitorious needs to know whether that user
should be allowed to do so, which means checking the database. Since loading
the entire Rails environment is a quite heavy operation, we "ask" Gitorious
through its web interface, which is already loaded, if the user should be
allowed to push. Which is why we need to know the IP address and port to
connect to in order to query for permissions.

Cheers,
- Marius