On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <rr.ro...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> How did you solve the entropy issue in gitorious.org? Are you using
> /dev/urandom instead of /dev/random? Just curious... My feeling is that
> Gitorious is too slow. While Redmine, which is a complex system, has good
> performance, I don't feel the same about Gitorious. Performance is something
> that I would like to improve on Gitorious. But I need to identify first what
> are the bottlenecks. Github is very fast and I'm not sure if this is just a
> matter of bandwidth, or caching or database architecture... While this could
> make sense for gitorious.org, it doesn't for our intranet Gitorious...

As for entropy, we had some issues with that some time ago, and our hosting
provider Redpill Linpro tracked this down to originating in OpenSSH, iirc.
We're currently using a BSD SSH server, which seems to be kinder to our
entropy; I suspect that uses /dev/urandom.

The main bottlenecks on the gitorious.org servers is IO, and as mentioned
previously we will have to change Gitorious to support distributing the Git
repositories over several servers. Furthermore, Gitorious should become a
lot more cache friendly; it will currently create a session cookie for each
request, which means the cache server (Varnish) will not cache it. We made
some changes to Commits#show recently, and that has reduced the load on the
servers and improved response times significantly - we should really do a
lot more of that.

Cheers,
- Marius