From: gitorious@googlegroups.com [mailto:gitorious@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
Sent: den 24 september 2012 11:38
To: gitorious@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [gitorious] LDAP authentication with short user names

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Ken Dreyer
<ktdre...@ktdreyer.com<mailto:ktdre...@ktdreyer.com>> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Peter Kjellerstedt
<peter.kjellerst...@axis.com<mailto:peter.kjellerst...@axis.com>> wrote:
> Couldn't you just change the validation in app/models/user.rb that validates
> the length of the login to be between 3 and 40 characters to allow 2 to 40
> instead? That is what we have done here...
My concern with this approach is that it will be overwritten in future
Gitorious version upgrades.

That said, usernames of two characters do not seem unreasonable in
general. Gitorious devs, any reason for choosing a three-character
limit instead of two?

Although I wasn't around at the time, I would think it either had to do with a
higher probabilty for uniqueness with a three char username or the risk of
brute force attacks on shorter usernames?

- Marius